Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vitamins Part 2

Today I am going to wrap up our two part discussion on vitamins! Our last two questions are on quality and return on investment.
  • How do I know if they are quality vitamins?
This is an excellent question.  As some of you may know, the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) does not regulate vitamins. This means that I could buys some different ingredients, mix them together, put them in a capsule, slap a label with whatever ingredients I think will sell on it... and whalllaaa!!! I can sell my supplement. Isn't that a scary thought? Yes, I am being a little dramatic but you get the point.

The good news is that there are companies that do third-party testing of vitamins and they can become GMP Certified. This means that they have been tested in human clinical trials to be safe, and have guaranteed potency and purity.

So when you are looking to buy supplements look for this certification! It is worth the extra money you might have to spend. All the supplements I take and sell are GMP Certified and I would have it no other way.

Let me quickly address my Flinstone vitamin remark from yesterday. Let's take a look at the image below of a Flinstone vitamin label.


The first ingredient listed is Sucrose. For kicks I Googled "Sucrose" and this is what came up--I literally copy and pasted...

Table sugar
Chemical Compound

Sucrose is the organic compound commonly known as table sugar and sometimes called saccharose. A white, odorless, crystalline powder with a sweet taste, it is best known for its nutritional role. Wikipedia

Or...

Noun
A compound, C12H22O11, that is the chief component of cane or beet sugar.
Synonyms
saccharose

Must I say more? If a "vitamins" first ingredient is sugar.... I don't think it should be considered a "vitamin."

Okay, last but definitely not least....

  • Is taking vitamins worth the cost?
I hear a lot of people talk about vitamins being too expensive, but lets be honest, we have money for what's important. For girls this might be spending $200+ to get their hair done every two months, buying a new pair of shoes, or getting their nails done. For guys this could be getting that car that is nicer than actually necessary, playing a round of golf, or buying that extra round of drink for your buddies. Whatever it is, if it's important to you, you have money for it. 

You might ask, "What is my return on investment in regard to vitamins?" The answer is a 17:1 return. According to the 2008 Copenhagen Consensus, for every dollar spent on vitamins,  seventeen future dollars are saved on healthcare--this could be hospital bills, increased productivity, etc. WHAT A GREAT RETURN! If I knew that if we could put $1 in the stock market at get $17 back.... heck, wouldn't we all start investing?

Take your Vitamins

I hope this answers some of your questions in regard to vitamins. I know everyone has their own opinions and these are mine based on what I have learned and studied. :)

Hope
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment