Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sugar and Maximum Performance

My last couple of posts have had something to do with sugar. If you read one of my first blog posts, (To Much Good) I recently took sugar out of my diet. I would love to admit to you that I'm perfect--especially when it comes to what I eat; however, that would be a scandalous falsehood. This weekend I partook of some delicious sugary goodness (also known as ice cream). It tasted really good going down but then I had a gut ache and a head ache the rest of the day! I think the combination of dairy and sugar, two things I haven't eaten in awhile were a bad combination. I wasn't quite sure how my body would handle the overload of sugar but it has prompted me to look into it this more and share my findings.

The first area I want to look into is muscle performance. As I mentioned before I am training for Olympic lifting competitions and my training consists of heavy lifting twice a week. In the weeks following the removal of sugar from my diet I started to see myself performing on a higher level. I would PR (get a personal record) in multiple lifts almost every workout. Last week I PR'd in every lift! I haven't seen a week like that since my first couple weeks of training (granted, I'm still only 5 months in).

No, this isn't me but she kinda looks like me!

Within our muscles we have cells called mitochondria. These are like the Energizer Bunny within our cells and produce energy to allow movement. For our mitochondrial cells to function and produce energy our body must breakdown 6-carbon glucose molecules (remember glucose is a form of sugar). When are body finished the process of breaking down these 6-carbon glucose molecules we are left with 2-carbon acetate (essentially vinegar)--this is a byproduct of the energy cycle. Here is the interesting part, acetates, are the building blocks for cholesterol.

Here is where we run into trouble. When our bodies produce acetates faster then our bodies can burn them they "join" and make excess cholesterol and saturated fat--making your red blood cells sticky, sluggish and inefficient. These fatty acids deposit around your organs and in your skin folds (technically known as your subcutaneous tissue).  It also clogs your vascular system which prohibits blood transportation of oxygen and nutrients to your body.

Unfortunately, that isn't the only bad news when it comes to sugar. After that delicious taste of sugary goodness is turned to fat, these fat deposits have separation anxiety and wont be leaving you without a fight.

Our brain is an important factor in this sugar equation. To achieve maximum performance and basic human survival depends upon our brain getting specific nutrients such as glucose (a form of sugar), glutamic acid (a non-essential amino acid), or ketones (the result of body fat being broken down and used for energy).

Our bodies where build with a fight or flight mechanism. When your brain is not getting the nutrients it needs--in this case glucose your body will take it from two of your tissue stores: amino acids found in lean muscle mass, or from your adrenal glands which start a conversion process which turns liver and/or muscle glyogen (stored carbohydrates) stores into glucose.

A diet that is high in refined carbohydrates and sugar triggers an abnormal pancreatic insulin response to balance your blood sugar (your body produces excess insulin--see my post To Much Good for a breakdown of insulin resistance). Over time this will cause your pancreas and adrenal glands to "burn out" and lose the ability to work properly. The failure of these two endocrine systems to work properly is directly related to adult-onset type II diabetes, chronic fatigue, cardiovascular complications and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Refined carbohydrates and sugars lack vitamins and minerals which forces your body to draw nutrients from your bodies micronutrient stores to get proper nourishment. Over time these micronutrients stores in your body will become depleted if they are not refilled. This hinders the metabolization of fatty acid and cholesterol. Over time this leads to higher blood serum triglycerides, cholesterol and promotes obesity.

So, to put a nice little bow on our conclusion. If you are looking to be able to perform athletically at a higher level or just have more energy for every day life, monitoring your sugar intake, as well as refined carbohydrates is key.  Too much sugar will prohibit your mitochondrial function, slow down your bodies ability to get nutrients where needed, increase your cholesterol and promote obesity.

I like to think of my body as a machine. When well oiled and detailed it works with the most efficiency and effectiveness. However, when you let plaque an debris get into your machine it will not work how it was intended to. The same goes with our bodies.

That was my attempt at using a mechanical analogy when I am extremely unfamiliar with how those things work... but I think it makes sense.

I hope you were able to learn a little something from this post! I am currently sitting here really wanting to eat some chocolate... But I don't think I should after writing this.... :)

Until next time,
Hope
xoxo

References:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/01/09/killer-sugar-suicide-with-a-spoon-sugar-dangers.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I find really dark chocolate (like 80 or so cocoa) to fix my chocolate cravings. And its actually really good for you! Just a little square though, all things in moderation, right?

    ReplyDelete