Friday, May 17, 2013

Calorie Restriction

Today I want to talk about calorie restriction. As I ponder how to approach this topic I feel as if I am walking on egg shells. I feel I need to differentiate between calorie restriction and anorexia before I continue. When I say “calorie restriction” I am referring to eating and drinking the proper amount of calories/food needed for your body’s systems to function properly. In other words--refraining from overeating. I am not referring to starving yourself, nor am I encouraging that in any way.

With my disclaimer out of the way I now want to talk about calorie restriction, and how it benefits your health in multiple ways. Calorie restriction has been scientifically proven to:
  • Increase longevity
  • Decrease chronic diseases: cardiovascular, diabetes, cancer and neurologic disorders
  • Maintains: muscle mass, energy efficiency and brain function

 
The good news is it’s never too late to start implementing calorie restriction. Studies have shown that even when started later in life, calorie restriction reduces cellular senescence—or cell aging (Ref 1). A study done by the University of Alabama Birmingham found that by restricting consumption of calories and glucose (sugar) you can extend the life of your healthy cells and accelerate the death of precancerous cells in your body. (Ref 2) It has also been found that calorie restriction also helps slow the aging and the deterioration of your immune system! (Ref 3)

Unfortunately, the fountain of youth was never found. The good news is that you can take action in your diet and lifestyle that will not only increase your days with family and friends but will also improve your quality of life. Ordering a salad when you are out with your friends vs. a cheeseburger and fries or deciding to pass on that second helping are just small ways you can start implementing calorie restriction into your diet. It’s never too late to change and it only takes one decision at a time to start improving your health.

Hope
xoxo

References:
(2)    http://www.physorg.com/news180298600.html
(3)    Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Dec 19;103(51):19448-53. Epub 2006 Dec 11.  PMID: 17159149

No comments:

Post a Comment