Saturday, May 18, 2013

Step On It

I'm standing in the bathroom brushing my teeth, and I catch a glimpse of the scale sitting there in the corner. I know I need to step on it.... but, I think back to that delicious bowl of home made popcorn I ate yesterday... or that second portion of potatoes I ate two nights ago. The battle in my mind continues... step on the scale... but I don't want to step on the scale... Or, if I'm going to be truthful with myself, I don't want to see the number on the scale. If I see the number in the scale I'll have to admit it myself that I haven't been making healthy choices and I've been over eating....



I don't know about you, but this is a conversation I have with myself on a frequent basis. It's the times that I know I haven't been eating right that I avoid the scale. If I've had a good day of eating and exercise I'm all about jumping on the scale because I know what I'll see. However, I think the most important time to step on the scale is when you feel like you've been failing.

I've heard a lot of different opinions about the scale--how you should use it, how you shouldn't. Some say you should just take measurements of yourself, or go by how you're close fit. Other's argue that you shouldn't be using a scale if you are weight training because muscle weights more than fat so the scale wont be give an accurate reading of your progress. I believe all of these are good arguments, but here is my thought on the use of the scale. I once heard of a guy who stepped on the scale every morning. If he was a pound heavier he ate less that day and didn't have that piece of dessert with dinner. If he was a pound lighter, he had that piece of dessert at dinner (healthy dessert of course ;)).

It is important we have a healthy relationship with the scale. We shouldn't avoid it. We might surprise ourselves and it might not be as bad as I thought it was! On the other hand, it might be shocking reality of where we are headed with our health.

Fun Facts:

  • To lose one pound of fat you need to consume 500 less calories than you burn for one week (good calories of course).
Let's stop avoiding the scale and start keeping ourselves accountable!

No comments:

Post a Comment