Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why Looking Good Is Important

Looking good is important. There it is, I said it. My whole life I have lived on the tomboy side of things. In high school getting dressed up consisted of wearing jeans rather than sweatpants with my t-shirt and hoody. Even when I was a little girl my mom would try to put me in dresses and I would wearing basketball shorts under my dress and tennis shoes--who knows, I just might need to climb a tree. 

My first year after high school I lived in a city and state where know one knew who I was. There were no preconceived notions of who Hope Sevlie was supposed to be. I decided that I was going to start dressing like a girl. It was a turning point for me. First of all, it was great not having people ask me why I was so dressed up all the time... because they had no idea that that wasn't how I normally dressed. Secondly, I was very uncomfortable at first. I felt as if I was trying to draw extra attention to myself... however, I persevered and now I can wear four inch heels (putting me at 6'2") and I don't feel self conscious or weird about it!



What I have noticed for myself is that I perform better, work harder and walk taller if I have put myself together. I think this is applicable to all areas of life--work, school, the gym etc. In college I heard a professor say that if you get dressed up for a test you will score better. I'm pretty sure he said it was a proven statistic... but I don't have a reference so believe it at your own expense! 

I think this concept crosses over into our time at the gym and how we feed ourselves. I think if you walk into the gym feeling good about how you look you are more likely to have a better workout and perform better. It is purely physiological but I have seen the truth of it in my own life. In regard to how you feed yourself, I think it has to do a lot with respecting yourself. If you take the time to put yourself together I think you will be more likely to take the time to feed yourself well. I've noticed that sweatpants almost always = ice cream. I think other ladies can relate...

I realize this post it quite a bit different than my usual posts but I think it is relevant! Living a healthy lifestyle is about loving yourself. If you love something, you take care of it. If you "love" your car, you don't only put the right type of gas in it, you also clean it out, get it detailed and waxed (no pun intended).

Try dressing for success this week. Let me know if you see a difference in your attitude and outlook! 

Until Next Time,
Hope
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment