Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dream Big, Set Goals

Dream big, set goals. I feel like that is the story of my life right now. Granted, I am a semi-recent college graduate, with a just enough of a taste of corporate America to know that I would rather skip the endless hours in a desk, and ladder climbing as my fast track to success and a decent salary.

It has been about eight months now, since I resigned from my job as a recruiter and started this adventure. This is not the path I had planned for myself. I have always been a planner. My plan had always been to graduate college, get a good corporate job, work for about seven years, save money, then start my business. Needless to say, my "plan" is so far from my currently reality I have to laugh, but I would have it no other way.

As I have taken time to reflect, I am not sure that I would have ever taken the leap of faith and stepped out to do my own thing if I hadn't been in a job that made me miserable. I had no idea how I was going to make ends meet. Businesses don't usually start over night. The day I walked out of my job for the last time I felt that I had just stepped off a cliff, I was in free fall. I wasn't even sure if I had a parachute on, but I knew I had to jump. If there was a time to do it, now was that time.

The great thing about being miserable is that it really has a unique way of making you realize what makes you happy. 



I've realized that there are a lot of things I want to go out, do and experience. The question I have been asking myself is why shouldn't I do ALL these things? By the grace of God and a hale Mary (as my grandmother would say) I have a good 60 years left in me and I don't want to look back wishing I had taken a few more chances. I realize I'm not going to be able to do all these things at once, but if I take them one at a time, set attainable goals, they will happen. Some of these things will take longer than others, but if I'm patient, one by one I'll be able to start checking them off.

A few of the things I would like to do/experience are:

  1. Have my own successful business
  2. Compete in ballroom dancing
  3. Master a form of martial arts (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai)
  4. Travel the world (I'm trying to get a side job with Delta)
  5. Go skydiving
  6. Set a world record (Probably a variation of the deadlift)
  7. Become proficient at surfing
  8. Be a part of fashion week NY
  9. Start a Non-profit
These are a few of the things I would really like to experience/learn. Now I just have to figure out how I can make them happen. For instance, traveling the world is expensive... unless you work for an airline. Which is why I'm trying to get a part-time job with Delta. I would be totally okay traveling the world on standby. :)

It's never to late to make a list of dreams. But if you make the list, you have to make a second list mapping out how you plan to accomplish them. Set goals, whether that be saving money, signing up for a class, or looking for that part-time job with an airline. 




I think it's important to realize you don't have to look successful from the worlds outlook. Every persons journey doesn't look alike. From a worldly perspective I would say my life looks pretty sad right now... but, I have decided that that doesn't matter. What matters is that I am doing what I feel God has called me to do. I'm going after my dreams one at a time. 

Here is a Chinese fortune I got recently:
"Talk is cheap, barbers give it away free with haircuts."

Let's stop thinking and talking about what we want to do and go do it! 

Until Next Time,
Hope
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. The goal-setting plan you show looks like a good way to get off dead center, Hope!

    (BTW - Hail Mary, unless Grandma really meant "hale," but probably not . . . though "hale" is a good description of you, I think!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I just saw this! I definitely got a good giggle. :) I have always been a bad speller/writer... etc. So I find this HILARIOUS!! Thanks for the BTW!

      Delete
  2. Hope, i always love your posts! keep it up! so encouraging, real, and motivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shanna! I love seeing your workout pics of FB! Get it GURL!! :)

      Delete